Project to be completed before NASCAR returns to Monster Mile for Oct. 4-6 races
Dover International Speedway will build a new, expanded Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series garage following the upcoming May 3-5 NASCAR tripleheader weekend, track officials announced today. And when NASCAR returns to the track in 5 months, it will be completed.
The new, larger Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series garage will be located between Turns 1 and 2 in the infield, a shift from its current spot closer to Turn 1. The current garage area has been in place since the Monster Mile’s first race, the “Mason-Dixon 300” on July 6, 1969.
TRACK GARAGE CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS HERE
The garage will include an Allied Steel Building, a corporate partner of Dover International Speedway and the sponsor of the “Allied Steel Buildings 200” NASCAR Xfinity Series Dash 4 Cash race on Saturday, May 4.
Another partner of Dover International Speedway, Raynor Garage Doors, is providing the garage doors for the project. Raynor is the preferred garage door of Dover International Speedway.
Some highlights and features of the new Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series garage include:
- Expanded square footage: 23,100 from 18,400, a 20 percent increase
- Includes 44 large garage bays (15-foot by 30-foot) with individual garage doors for cars and teams
- Larger garage area footprint: Existing guardrail facing Turns 1 and 2 to be removed, along with grass areas on the inside of the Turns. The area inside the apron will now be fully paved, with SAFER barriers covering the entire length of the inside walls of Turns 1 and 2.
- Cost: $5.5 million
- Design: Becker-Morgan Architects out of Dover, Del.
- Contractor: Kent Construction out of Smyrna, Del.
Work is scheduled to begin on May 6, right after the upcoming races, and be completed by Sept. 20, right before the Oct. 4-6 NASCAR tripleheader weekend. The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoff race on Sunday, Oct. 6, will be the 100th NASCAR Cup Series race in track history and the final race of the Monster Mile’s 50th Anniversary season. Dover International Speedway will be the 10th track in the nation to host 100 or more NASCAR Cup Series races.
The upcoming May 3-5 NASCAR tripleheader weekend opens Dover’s 50th Anniversary season and includes the “JEGS 200” NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series race on Friday, May 3 and the “Gander RV 400” Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday, May 5.